We were assigned in class for Thursday and then for Tuesday to listen to and critique a sample student podcast written by one of Chris Dean's previous students in his class. This person wrote their script and their podcast based around the idea of the Mozart Effect.
In the podcast, the person introduces the theory of the Mozart Effect then proceeds to tell the podcast listeners a brief history of where it formed, and then give us a little take of whether she believes it holds true or not. I particularly liked the way she organized her podcast overall because it seemed to resemble what I wanted to do in my podcast; which would be to have a brief introduction of what I wanted to discuss, have music play in the middle, discuss more about my topic, then end with an outro that I like.
In her script I enjoyed very much when she introduced the history of how the Mozart Effect and its theory came to be in her first half of her podcast. I never knew that the theory had started in University of California, Irvine, and that it spawned from a professor's desire for his students to get better test scores. After the history, she gives us more information of what the Mozart Effect supposedly does and how it was originally tested, and then allows for the listeners to listen to some Mozart music to casually test if maybe the podcasters feel any more focused. After the small portion of Mozart's sonata plays, the writer of the podcast proceeds to give us what she feels about the Mozart Effect.
The concluding paragraphs of the podcast consist of the writer's opinion of the Mozart Effect, and it hints more towards the side where it doesn't work. She tries to iterate in her final paragraphs that the original study made in UC Irvine that supposedly had positive results for the theory has never in any case been able to be repeated. In her concluding paragraph, the writer gives us her final take, which is if Mozart supposedly works on people, any music that individual people enjoy should work just as well. The podcast then ends with a song by a song that she particularly admires, and possibly studies to, by Christina Aguilera.
No comments:
Post a Comment